Wednesday, June 29, 2011

View of the Antietam Creek
Not only am I a hooker, but I'm also a walker. I was lucky enough to walk to work for years  When I bought my first home I adopted Miss Beezley from the local shelter.  She loved her Bye Byes  / Walkie Walks.  We would walk together mile after mile.  My friend Heather once called Ron and I the walkingest people she knows.  I wouldn't go that far because we only do a couple miles at a time, but I do walk our dogs at the Antietam Battlefield almost everyday.  Walking clears the mind and helps me focus. 

I simply love the trails at the Battlefield.  It's a safe place so I'm not afraid to walk most of them alone, but there are a couple that are too remote for me to walk alone and feel safe.  Call me chicken if you wish, but I'd rather lean towards caution.  I save the remote trails for the weekends when Ron can come along.  Walking is another thing we have in common.

Now, I know I should be in a church on a Sunday morning, but I just love the inner peace I get from walking under old shade trees with the loves of my life.

I spent 25 yrs worth of Sunday mornings in a church, now I just want to be outside come heat or cold.  Maybe I'll find another church until then you can find me at the Battlefield.  I know the Lord understands.

I would like to show you one of my favorite Sunday morning trails.  The name of this trail is Snavley Ford.  It's approx.  2 miles.  Most of the trail is in the shade and hugs the Antietam Creek.  This trail is pretty easy except for the hill at the end, but if I can manage to climb it I think you can too.

Heading down the first hill.  The puppies love the scent of the deer trails.  We get lucky now and then and spot a deer, but the puppies are pretty noisy through this section of trail.



Wild Day Lillies grow along the trail.  They break up all the green with some brilliant orange.  The butterflies are usually close by.



Maryland's state flower offers a bit more color along the trail.

Okay, I have several other photos of this wonderful trail I would like to post, but after several tries I'm giving up.  I tried on the desktop computer and now on the laptop, but no luck posting more photos. 

I guess this means you will just have to walk it to see it.  Early morning is best if you ask me.  Maybe I'll see you one weekend.  Happy trails to you.

1 comment:

  1. Hate to say it but as much as I like the Battlefield trails, I'm sticking to the mcadam. Took a little walk Monday night and encountered a snake on the cornfield trail. That was enough for me!!! Even if it was only a garter snake!! Hugs to Ron and the pups!

    ReplyDelete